Contact your regular animal hospital ASAP and take a video of your dog’s limp
- If your regular veterinary hospital is open, contact them now. If they are closed, it is probably safe to wait until morning.
- Monitor your dog closely for any new symptoms or changes in behavior. If your dog can’t move around at all, shows signs of severe pain or refuses to put any weight on the affected leg, contact an emergency veterinary hospital right away.
- Be careful when handling your dog – the affected area is likely painful and they may bite.
- Make note of as many details as you can for your vet, as this will help them diagnose the situation:
- Which leg(s) are limping, and what specific area?
- Is it always the same leg, or different legs?
- Are there specific situations where they limp more?
- Taking a video of your dog’s limp is always a good idea – especially if the limp is intermittent.