Contact your nearest emergency animal hospital and prevent your dog from licking or scratching at the wound
- Contact your nearest emergency animal hospital before travelling to ensure they are able to see your pet.
- They may also need to give you specific instructions.
- Most regular animal hospitals will also be able to treat your dog, if they are open and can see you right away.
- Do not feed your dog unless the vet advises otherwise. Some diagnostics and medications yield better results if your dog has an empty stomach.
- Perform basic first aid on your dog as needed and if safe to do so:
- For wounds that are bleeding: apply firm pressure to the wound with a clean towel or cloth to stop the bleeding
- For burns or grazes (superficial scrapes): wrap a clean towel or cloth around the affected area
- For lacerations, cuts or puncture wounds: wrap a clean towel or cloth around the affected area and apply a little pressure to stop the bleeding.