Prevention of facial swelling can be tricky unless we’re able to pinpoint the source. Some are preventable while others are not. Here are some suggestions for prevention and early detection:
- Keep your dog away from bugs and bees whenever possible
- Be mindful of the triggers that your dog has an allergic response to (ex. specific type of grass).
- In the event that your dog has an allergic reaction to a vaccine, your veterinarian will make suggestions to split up vaccines, pre-treat them with an antihistamine, or discontinue that particular vaccine, depending on the severity of the reaction.
- Avoid contact with wild or unknown animals or giving your dog hard bones. Supervise play with other animals and toys.
- Maintain your dog’s oral health by brushing their teeth regularly, checking their mouth every month for swellings and odor, and having your vet perform a dental exam during your dog’s annual physical exam.