Depending on the cause of your dog’s itchiness, your vet will determine the right treatment and recovery plan. Without knowing the source of the problem, any over the counter treatments or home remedies will only help alleviate the symptoms and not resolve the issue.
Some things you can do to in the meantime to make your dog more comfortable include:
- Add omega-3 to your dog’s diet, but not too much or it can cause diarrhea
- Give your dog a bath using cool water and an aloe and oatmeal shampoo
- Apply a cone/e-collar to prevent them from further damaging their skin from the licking, chewing or scratching
- Apply a gym sock (gently with first aid tape) to their back paw to help prevent nail trauma from scratching
- If you have any parasite prevention from your vet, apply it to cross fleas off the list
- Antihistamines can be effective for alleviating itching in some dogs (but contact your vet first for the correct dose)